Drawing on the Power of Art to help kids Heal, Cope and Grow.
The Power of Art is specifically tailored to fit the needs of children suffering childhood adversity. Volunteer mentors work one on one with children providing instructional art activities in a small group setting (6 – 10 children). The yearlong program is divided into five entertaining and educational blocks that introduce art concepts while encouraging collaboration, team building and individual growth. All volunteer mentors are given background clearances and receive trauma informed training prior to participating in the program. Mentors are trained and provided the essential tools to adapt projects to meet the specialized needs of each individual child.
Each child receives an art journal and oil pastels, an introduction to art concepts, 30 sessions of fun and interactive art activities and 45 hours of one-on-one mentoring with a trained volunteer mentor. All materials are provided by Barnstone Art for Kids at no cost to participants.
The Power of Art is designed for children between the ages of 5 and 15 living in Chester County. Participation is based on their calculated ACE score, program and mentor availability. Please call for more information about eligibility.
- Teaching problem solving and coping skills
- Developing supportive relationships with peers & adults
- Granting permission and ability to learn from mistakes
- Developing competencies (academic, social, extracurricular)
- Expressing feelings appropriately
- Feeling physically and emotionally safe
- Offering time to relax and do recreational activities[/su_panel]